Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Power of Time

The power of providing processing time is truly an amazing thing. I recently watched a video of one of my clients making a snack with his mom. They made a dog out of fruit and when they finished putting it together mom made a great comment wondering what other type of animals they could make. She then just waited and amazingly about 15 seconds later he came up with the idea to make a giraffe. Now that was truly a spontaneous response. They then went on to discuss what they could use to make the long neck and spots. It was such a great experience sharing conversation that had mom not provided processing time would not have taken place.

As I sit here with tears in my eyes thinking about the progress this child has made in 6 months due to parents making some changes in communication style, slowing down the pace and working on guided participation I’m in awe. I can’t wait to see what the next 6 months brings especially now that parents are tuned into providing him with processing time. I know we are going to get some really amazing spontaneous thoughts from him.

So my advice for this week is to slow down and wait. You just might be surprised what you get.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

No comments: