Monday, December 18, 2006

What's HOT! (Horizon's Occupational Therapy)

A couple of weeks ago I attended a great workshop on the vestibular system. This area significantly impacts many of the kids that I see. Many of the children have difficulty figuring out where their bodies are in space, feel disoriented in new or overwhelming environments, and have difficulty with awareness of time. I was excited when I learned about the use of nature sounds on CD's (not music) to help these kids to feel oriented, more secure in their bodies, and become aware of moments in time. In trying a nature sounds CD with one of the kids I work with, I found that she settled down quickly, stopped her activity at times and turned her head toward a various bird chirp or clap of thunder sound, then was able to re-connect with me and the task that we were doing. This is important because of the natural rhythms of nature, and even using the natural rhythms of a mother holding a child and letting them hear their heart rate, and breathing rhythms demonstrate a calming affect on these kids. If this sounds like something you'd like to try out with your child, just look for a CD with nature sounds on it and see how it affects them. Sarah - OT

No comments: