Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A New Beginning

With spring comes a new beginning, fresh flowers, new leaves on the trees and unfortunately a lot of new bugs and bunnies that eat our new flowers. Spring each year is a time of new beginnings - especially in my family. My husband and I began our relationship in the spring, we were married in the spring, and both of our girls were born in the spring. I am reminded each April/May of new beginnings. Last week I wrote about priorities, today I'm going to elaborate on that a bit and encourage you to think about some personal new beginnings.

Right before my husband (Kevin) and I were married we attended a church service in which the pastor encouraged each person to write a mission statement for themselves and/or their family. Kevin and I took this challenge and decided we'd like to start our marriage off with a mission statement. Unfortunately we got as far as getting some bulletted points down, but never developed those thoughts into a mission statement. I began thinking about that concept again this week and thought it really makes a lot of sense. Who am I? What are my priorities? Where should my focus be in life? It's important to occassionally stop and think about this, but how great would it be to have a personal mission statement in which you can reflect daily on your mission in life? Each year or so you can take time to revamp it as things in your life change and continue to use it as a road map for your life.

This week I'm going to start thinking about a personal mission statement and I encourage you to do the same. Here are a few things to think about to get started:
Who do I serve/give time to?
What do I hope to accomplish in the next couple of years?
In what things will I put my energy?
What makes me unique?
What are my goals?

This is a great way to create a new beginning - put things in perspective and live your life according to your priorities. When your boss asks to put in some extra hours, you can quickly reflect on your mission statement and think, nope, that's not what I'm about or absolutely - my job is my priority at this point. When you are asked to do something else, does it fit with my mission statement? What a wonderful way to keep your life organized and with priorities in order.

Check out this site for a few more ideas in developing your mission statement.

To new beginnigs! ~Michelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to ask yourself, how do I know if I have gotten what I want out of life, if I don't know what I want? That which we do not measure does not get achieved. Instead of bouncing aimlessly thru life, we need to set a strategic direction and then look at the activities in our lives and see if they help or hinder us in reaching our goals. If they hinder, why do them? We also need to ask, what do we need to stop, what do we need to continue doing and what do we need to do more of?