Thursday, May 1, 2008

Foundations

As I walked past the fence surrounding the construction zone outside of the elementary school where I spend part of my time each week I noticed they were working to dig the holes for laying the new foundation today. This started me thinking about foundations in general.

I spend a lot of time talking with new parents about building the foundation that will support the rest of their RDI® program. We talk a lot about the fact that without a solid foundation the treatment process is doomed to fail from the start. For the consultants at Horizons a solid foundation is built on a well established master/apprentice relationship and a commitment to experience sharing communication as the main mode of communicating within the family. These principles make up a majority of our parent readiness and cluster coaching sessions. Without this foundation the house will eventually crumble.

I found this quote which I think speaks to the topic of foundations in relation to the RDI® program and what we at Horizons are striving to achieve with the parents and families we work with.
“The loftier the building, the deeper must the foundation be laid.” Thomas Kempis

To me this quote says it all. Depending on the quality of life each parent wants for their child the more solid the foundation will need to be. As far as I’m concerned the sky’s the limit! Now that spring has arrived and warmer weather is upon us and many new construction projects are springing up it might be an excellent time for you to think about the foundation you are building for your child. Is your foundation solid enough to support your lofty building? If not what can be done to firm up that foundation? Are there things that we at Horizons can do to help you establish a firmer foundation? Let us know how we can help.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

No comments: