Thursday, April 26, 2007

Leaving Crisis Behind

This is the time of year when many people in my day to day world go into crisis. In my school job I work with many teachers and staff who go into job crisis because there is so much to do and so little time to get it done before summer break. We are all scurrying around like mad people trying to accomplish more than can be done in a 7 hour school day. In my work as an RDI consultant I work with many families who begin to enter a crisis of their own when the end of the school year begins to loom. Not because there is so much to be done, but because there is a wide empty space of time that comes with the ending of school for the year. Many parents start thinking what will I do with my child for 10 whole weeks.

I admit I get a bit stressed at this time of year myself and can put myself into crisis mode. This is the way I was feeling yesterday as I rushed around and tried to do a million things in a day. I felt like I was on a roller coaster and I was exhausted.

I had the pleasure of doing a presentation with our OT, Sarah last night on the new feeding program we are using at Horizons. The presentation went well and I left feeling like I was helping some families. After leaving I decided to stop at Barnes and Noble as one of my favorite authors just released a new book and there was another book I wanted to check out. So I stopped and as I walked into the store I felt a calm come over me. I love Barnes and Noble and I love to read so I think I just felt good knowing I was going to get a book to read just for fun. As I was wandering around the store I made up my mind that being in crisis and all stressed out is no fun. It's just not worth it. So I went home got things ready for today and went to be early to read a bit and get a good night's sleep. I woke up this morning in a much better mood feeling refreshed and ready for the day. I don't feel guilty about not working on things at home last night. The work will get done. It always does.

The saying on my calendar this morning was "Do we ever do enough?" I think the answer to that question is sometimes, Yes! Sometimes what we have done is enough. We need to take time to "smell the roses" as the old saying goes. It is okay to slow down, take a night off, watch a movie, read, just be. Sometimes these things are enough.

Are you in crisis? Take a minute and ask yourself if it is really worth it. Slow down and think about what it might take to help you out of crisis. Don't be afraid to ask for help or just take a break for a bit.

I am going to do my best to leave crisis behind and I hope you will as well.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

No comments: