Thursday, July 12, 2007

Non-verbals

I am going to piggyback off of Nicole and Michelle's posts today.

I have to say that I completely agree with Nicole and think that all college students in training as a speech/language pathologist should read the Tomasello book. It really makes you think about language and how it really develops. With each new book we read my thinking changes just a little bit. I find that how I view language and remediation of language has changed a great deal in the past year. Instead of trying to just fix the immediately obvious problems what I should have been doing all of these years and really looking for the root and going way back to the beginning. Teaching children to find the intent behind the communication, taking some of the pressure off by using more non-verbal communication and increasing my experience sharing communication instead of just questioning or being imperative in my correction.

I have watched several videos this week from my families and each of them is working on using increased non-verbal communication. It is amazing to me the communication that takes place when the parents are quiet. I also love that these children have reduced their static scripting of language at least during these times when parents are not talking much or are only using experience sharing communication. I have one child I am working with that has really embraced the use of experience sharing communication and can often times be heard to start his own sentences now with things like, "I wonder... or I'm thinking..." The whole process is great!

Going along with Michelle's post from yesterday it is readily apparent that we all need to be aware of what we are saying in front of children. Even if you don't think they are listening I can guarantee that they are. I just had this conversation with a parent this week about how they used to talk about things in front of their son all the time and recently he has started making comments about their conversations even from other rooms. Just goes to show that you need to be careful what you say.

Communication is a powerful tool that can be used in so many ways. Try experimenting with some non-verbal communication of your own this week.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

No comments: