Monday, August 20, 2007

Keep Swimming

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone was able to rest up and enjoy some rainy day activities, at least for those of us here in Michigan! Today was a very insightful day for me. I have been working with a child for 6 months now who has struggled greatly in all aspects of life. There have been many bumps and holes in the road along the way, but I have to say that today, August 20, was the day that this child reached a new milestone. For the first time, I saw this child regulate themselves in order to handle a difficult situation in an appropriate way without significant adult support. I was in awe! I stood their for several seconds thinking about the past 6 months and the struggles that everyone has endured; and in that second, I realized that I would face all of the countless bumps and holes in the road all over again for that moment. I saw the importance and the impact that we, as professionals and parents, can have on the lives of children. I know many of us, at times, feel like we are just treading water, but, we still need to keep swimming because the shoreline is in sight, no matter how far off in the distance it may seem! Keep swimming strong and you'll reach the shore!

Until next week,

Courtney

No comments: