Monday, August 13, 2007

Preparing for School

Hi, My name is Courtney and I am going to be joining the Horizons' blog on Mondays. I have been working at Horizons for a little over 2.5 years now. I started as the Supervisor of Instructional Programs at Horizons and have recently began training to become the next RDI(tm)Program Certified Consultant on staff. I love working at Horizons and enjoy all of my time with the children and families there. During the summer, I coordinate all of the summer camps and instructional programs at Horizons. We had a wonderful summer this year and I am looking forward to seeing all of our campers again next year!

A little about myself: I am single with no children, however, I have several horses who keep me busy. In addition to working at Horizons, I am also an elementary special education teacher for a local school district. As our blog continues, I hope to share with you some of my insights regarding my work in education and in RDI.

On to tonight's idea, I would like to share with you the importance of making small moments count. I recently talked with a mother who has a child on the spectrum and she discussed with me how hard it has been for her to keep on schedule with her remediation work the last few weeks. She has been preparing for the start of school and in the midst of the preparation, she has not be able to find the time to work on remediation with her child. Even during the busiest of times, it is important to bring your child into your daily activities and use small moments to work on communication, problem solving, co-regulation, etc. As you are preparing to send your children off to school, have them involved in the planning and shopping process. There are wonderful ways to include your child in these activities and they don't have to take too much time.

Until next week...

Courtney

No comments: