Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Great Artwork Display Idea


I don't know about your kids, but my kids seem to be constantly bringing home tons of artwork from school to add to the already huge pile of things they create at home. Then I'm faced with the dilemma of what to do with all of it. If I toss everything, then feelings are hurt. If I keep everything, we quickly run out of space to display it all. If I keep some and not others, then I have to deal with 100 questions about it. If I try to save it all, I end up with piles of boxes filled with art projects in my basement. So, what generally happens is I hang up a few "special" pieces, let the others sit around for a few days, and then quietly dispose of them when the kids aren't paying attention. This generally works, but it his has led to a few unfortunate moments when I didn't quite hide items well enough in the bottom of the trash bag and my children have pulled them out, demanding to know how on earth I could throw away such a fabulous one-of-a-kind creation. Can any of you relate?

I was excited to read a tip in a recent Womens Day magazine that will help me with this dilemma! They suggest displaying childrens' artwork virtually through an online album such as Flickr or Photobucket. I can take digital photos of the masterpieces my children make, and then upload them to the digital album. This way we can all look at them whenever we want to, without having piles of paper sitting around. We can also easily share them with family and friends. This could also be a wonderful way to keep memories of RDI projects you and your child have worked on together, as well as sharing episodic memories of past experiences.

I'm going to be starting our family's online art display soon - how about you?

Until next week,
Nicole

No comments: