Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Slowing Down

As we have been hit hard with sickness and bad weather here in west Michigan many of us have been forced to slow down and be creative with time at home. I have been finding that the more I slow down within my home, the more my children begin playing creatively and finding enjoyment in being together - especially when the television is not allowed to be on all day. (Click on the television link to read why we should turn the t.v. off. The arguments in that article are that much more amplified for children with autism.)

As I have personally slowed down a little lately due to the wintry weather, I have been reminded of the importance of slowing down and simplifying life for kids with autism. That is one of the things I love the most about the RDI program. Today I talked to a new family who have not had the opportunity to learn about all the principles of the RDI program yet and were asking my opinion on potential steps they might take with their child. Much to their relief, I strongly encouraged them to make the move they were considering because I saw much potential to simplify their lives and to slow down in order for their son to make quicker progress. Remember slowing down and taking more time to focus on remediation will only speed up the progress your child makes. If you haven't looked into the RDI program yet, but the sound of slowing down and simplifying your life sounds good, come see us. Slowing down and eliminating unnecessary programs is highly encouraged in order to see progress. Come check Horizons out!

Have a great week!
Michelle

No comments: