Thursday, March 27, 2008

Decisions

I think I may be on some type of theme for my blogs lately. I have been thinking a lot this week about decisions. Not only my own decisions that I have been facing this past week, but also the decisions that others around me have been faced with. Why is decision making so difficult? Why do we all struggle so much with making some of the decisions in our life? I think this first quote says it all.

Decisions are the endless uncertainties of life that we'll not know if they’re right until the very end, so do the best you can and hope its right. Lily Collins

I think decisions are so difficult for many of us because of the uncertainty. Are we making the right choice or will we stray off the correct path? As the quote says we cannot know until the very end so we must do the best we can and hope it is right. Sometimes we make a decision that doesn’t turn out as we expected, but I think we always learn something from the decisions we make so in my opinion that is sometimes better than always making the “right” decision. I know many of you as parents faced the hardest decision of your life when you were searching for the best remediation program for your child. I have to guess that the majority of you have great hope that RDI® was the right choice. I believe it was, but only you can know that in the end. I have met with a lot of parents recently that are at the point of making this decision for their child and family and I am sure they are feeling uncertain, but hopeful at the same time. I know the decisions that I have been thinking about recently have made me feel this same way. This leads me to my second quote for this week.

The roads we take are more important than the goals we announce. Decisions determine destiny. Frederick Speakman

How true is this quote? Our goal in RDI® is to obtain a quality of life for people with autism spectrum disorders, but what we come to understand as we work through the remediation process is that it is the journey toward the quality of life that is so important and not so much the destination. You can only reach your destiny by first making the decision and then continuing to make decisions along the way.

What will our destinies be? Only the future decision we make can provide that answer. Making decisions can be scary and uncertain, but how can we know what is at the end of the road or reach our destiny if we are too afraid to make the decisions that lead us there.

What decisions are facing you? I challenge each of you to make that decision that has been hanging out there and start on your new path. You might just find that it is fun and exciting.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

No comments: