Monday, March 10, 2008

Noticing Differences

For those of you who do not know, I recently had knee surgery and have been out of commission for a couple of weeks so I apologize for my lack of blogs. I have been slowly making my way back to working full time in my special education classroom with the use of a wheelchair; which has been a slow process, needless to say. As a teacher, I have been working on self awareness and experience sharing communication recently with my students. This morning, one of my students came into the classroom and noticed that I was standing up with my crutches. With the most sincere look and grin he said "Miss Courtney, your legs are working again. I am so glad they are fixed" and then went about his business. I stood there for a moment and took in what had just occurred. For this little boy to notice me and then comment on my condition was such an amazing moment as he has not done this in the past. This once again is a little glimpse of how powerful working on remediation can be. It put a smile on my face for the rest of the day and made the gimping around less painful.

Until next week...

Courtney

No comments: