Thursday, June 19, 2008

Slave to the past

“Be not the slave of your own past – plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote was on a card I received this week and I have been pondering it for a few days now as it sits on my desk. I have been thinking about what it means to me and my life. I think what it is really saying is that we need to be willing to take risks and try new things. We should not be afraid to have new experiences. That by experiencing new things we can find a new sense of ourselves. Trying new things and finding new ways to look at the world can help us to further understand our past experiences and possibly change our outlook. Allowing yourself the chance to move beyond what you have always known provides the opportunity to find a new sense of yourself.

This has been particularly poignant for me this past month and I think that as I continue on this journey of swimming in a new sea I will find new self-respect and an advanced experience that will allow me to find a new understanding of many of my past adventures and how they led me to this new place. It is always touch to release the bonds of slavery, but once that is done a new peace can be found.

The next time I post I will talk about how I think this quote relates to RDI® and the core deficits of autism that we talk so much about. I would love to hear your interpretation of the quote or what it means to you personally or in terms of RDI®. Feel free to leave me a comment if you would like.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

No comments: