Thursday, June 12, 2008

What Kind of Thinker are You?

What kind of thinker are you? Do like to think about concepts from the top down or from the bottom up? We have been having a lot of discussion about this in our office lately. The majority of us like to see the big picture first and then break it down into smaller parts. What is the theme is the question we have all been asking lately.


So what stemmed this discussion of different types of thinking? Now that we as consultants are becoming more and more familiar and comfortable using the new RDIos® we have come to the conclusion that it is easier for many of us to find the themes within each stage and begin to think about each theme as a whole first. We can then take each of the individual parts (objectives) and work on those as they relate to the theme. This has been tremendously helpful to us as consultants and to many of our families alike as we have shifted to thinking in this way. I feel like I can make sense of where I am headed now instead of driving one mile at a time with no real sense of where I am headed except to the end of the road.

I’m curious about what kind of thinkers all of you are? Maybe you are one or the other or perhaps a combination of the two. I’d love to hear from some of you. I think I can become a better guide by knowing what type of thinker my apprentices are so I intend to explore this with my families over the next month as I continue to meet with them.

Talk to you soon,
Erin

1 comment:

walking said...

I am an abstract thinker. Thinking in principles attracts me, so I do not want a fluffy big picture, but an organized principled one! I love details and analyzing things.